SANE/SART Education (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner/Sexual Assault Reponse Team)
SANE – The SANE is a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner who is a Registered Nurse with specialized training in the treatment and care of victims of sexual assault.
SART – The SART is a Sexual Assault Response Team of compassionate professionals that provide an immediate, multi-disciplinary response to adolescent and adult victims of sexual assault.
• Victim History
• Head to toe examination
• Forensic evidence collection
• Forensic photography
• Courtroom testimony
• Education and follow up planning on sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy
Victim Advocates—Safehouse Crisis Center, Inc.
• Provide comfort and support
• Educate victim and their support system
• Provide information and referrals to community resources
• Available to victim during all phases of medical/legal examinations and follow up proceedings
• Investigates all parties involved
• Investigates crime scene
• Receives evidence and reports from SANE
• Submits reports to county Attorney
• Remains in contact with victim during all phases of investigation
• Looks at the facts of the case and files charges.
• Prosecutes for the State
• Builds rapport with the victim and family.
Due to the current culture of disbelief, more than half of sexual assaults are not reported. Victims feel ashamed and responsible for the assault, and do not trust the system to keep them safe from retaliation.
Sexual assault victims suffer both physically and psychologically after an attack and time to process what has just happened to them is often needed. The SANE/SART is available to assist victims every step of the way.
SANE/SART provides qualified professionals to give victim centered care and support in a ‘safe place’.
· Appropriate medical care
· Emotional support
· Crisis intervention
· Assistance and education
· Individual medical-legal examinations.
Kansas State Law provides that if a victim is 18 years or older and a lethal weapon was not used during the assault, that patient does not have to report to law enforcement.
An anonymous case number is obtained from the KBI and a full evidence kit is collected. No patient information is disclosed. The kit is sent to the KBI under the anonymous case number and is stored by them for up to 5 years. If the victim chooses to make a report in those 5 years, law enforcement from the jurisdiction in which the assault occurred can access the kit through the KBI
This process allows us to provide support to the victim, give needed medical attention, collect the evidence in a timely manner, and gives the victim more time to decide what is best for their situation.
AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY – 7 DAYS A WEEK THROUGH THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT AT COFFEYVILLE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
· SERVING SOUTHEAST KANSAS AND NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA
· SANE/SART SERVICES OFFERED AT NO CHARGE TO VICTIMS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT
SANE/SART made possible by :
· Coffeyville Police Department
· Governor’s Grant—Stop Violence Against Women Act
· Safehouse Crises Center, Inc. —Coffeyville Office
· Coffeyville Daylight Defenders Lions Club
· Soroptimist International of Independence
· CRMC Foundation
· Leadership Coffeyville